Re: [ga] WHOIS TF: Brainstorming session on privacy.

WHOIS details to be held "in reserve" - and only released on the basis of a
complaint backed up by verifiable grounds for release - complainants
otherwise to be entitled to take normal legal resorts to obtain the WHOIS
data.

The verifiable grounds for release to be defined in categories. A small
committee to act as arbiter, financed out of small element in domain name
cost.

Complaints to be accompanied by refundable deposit to deter casual/flippant
actions.

Outcome: access to details still available in serious cases of abuse;
privacy of millions (the vast majority) protected. Cost defrayed by a small
increase of a few cents across all domain names, which would be an
acceptable price to pay for a secure and private system.

Some people would argue: why should I have to pay for my own privacy? But it
could be seen as "part of the product"  - you buy into a more secure and
private commodity.

The only acceptable alternative to me would be a right to "opt out" of WHOIS
publication, via Registrars who offer anonymity and cloaking services,
providing the same principles protected privacy from unverifiable
complaints.

But I think it is more legitimate and more just to spread the cost of
privacy (a very small cost) over the whole industry and across all domain
sales.

Consumers are often told that ICANN does not regulate registrars etc
"because there are legal agencies in each country which uphold consumer
protection". The same could be said in reverse here: consumers should not
have to publish their WHOIS data, "because complainants in each country have
resort to legal agencies which uphold the law".

Just some thoughts to throw in. Bottom line is, why should I have to publish
my private details to the world, and risk disclosure of those details to
people who may either spam me, harrass me, or sell my details on?

My privacy belongs to me.

The decision on its disclosure should be mine too.

regards,

Richard Henderson