Re: [ga] WHOIS TF: Brainstorming session on privacy.

Thomas - this biggest issue is why there is a need for privacy for a public
conveyance like an internet address. The whole point of getting a public
address is to be found, and like all mechanisms for being found in the world
today, there is no valid reason to need to register something in the public
view anonymously.

The inherent misconception is that you need a public address to publish on
the Internet. What you need is a Search Engine that is willing to list you
as a IP address and then everything is moot with regard to the need to have
a domain.

The issue is really that the people that this privacy protects are spammers
and not private citizens, they have been duped into believing that their
privacy is a reality on the Internet and it simply is not true. The only
issue in moving forward is how much money someone that want to know about
you or what you are up to is willing to spend to find out.

So the real issue in making WHOIS private is whether the Registrars are
willing to take financial culpability for any and all damages that any of
their "private clients" do and if they are - then fine. Otherwise the
problem is also moot since the first time it gets to court it will likely ve
struck down.

Just my 2 cents,
Todd Glassey