RE: [ga] retrieving expired .com names and transferring .ws names

David,

With regard to part 1 of your question, this part of the Redemption Grace
Period (RGP) that was recently implemented by VeriSign in connection with an
approved policy by ICANN. There have been some implementation bumps
experienced by both registrants and registrars in connection with this new
policy. The registry fee for this service is $80 during the initial period,
although it is scheduled to be lowered to I believe the $40 range. If you
allow the name to expire, you run the risk that it could be acquired by a
third party, thus opening up an additional can of worms.

For some other third party information regarding RGP problems please see the
following article,
http://www.icannwatch.org/article.pl?sid=03/02/17/2147258&mode=thread

Some of the things that I would find of real value is how did this name
expire. Was it your fault or an error/omission by the registrar or your
hosting company? Did you have accurate Whois data associated with your name?
Was the name originally registered by yourself or through a third party?

I would find the answers to these questions very informative in trying to
identify the problems people are encountering in this situation.

Best regards,

Michael D. Palage