[ga] retrieving expired .com names and transferring .ws names

I haven't been able to find much information these questions and I'm
wondering if you guys can help.  I apologize if these questions have already
been asked and answered, but I'm new to this listserv.

1.  The .com registry seems to have implemented a new policy where they're
holding domain names for 30 days after being released by the registrar, then
charging the registrant $200 to retrieve it from this status.  Does anyone
have any information about why they can do that?  Or even better, is there
any way around this besides waiting for the domain to be released?

2.  Does the .ws registry allow a transfer of registrar?  If so do any of
you know of any registrars that accept incoming transfers of .ws names.  If
not, why?

Thanks for the help,

-David