RE: [ga] WHOIS data on .org domains

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, at 12:44 [=GMT-0500], Bruce Beckwith wrote:

> and as a global registry, we will not implement any product or
> service without considering fully all implications from a world-wide
> perspective.

> We welcome comments and suggestions, either via lists, or off-list

Thank you for your invitation. Maybe you can send an announcement to this
list when plans for a whois that offers either more information or extra
search facilities or options are on the table?

It would not be nice if .ORG domain name holders suddenly would have to
find out that people can see what other domains they registered, thanks to
an innovative search engine, like the one at http://www.whobiz.biz.

It would be great to know how many .ORG domains are registered in
different countries and states, or how many registrants have more than 1
domain. This sort of statistical information was published in the past by
Networksolutions, and nobody found that a problem. In fact I regret that
it is not done anymore, and never was in greater detail. So maybe PIR can
take the lead in this respect?

It would be horrible, if it were possible to find out online, which
domains are owned by my neighbours. For .biz this may even be possible
already, if you pay whobiz.biz. The free search is limited to Registrant
Name, and this must match exactly. But with $$ you seem to be allowed to
search on a street name in a specific city, or on a family name worldwide.
Or for email addresses that contain a certain string, e.g. "Sandra" or
"icann.org".

I am not saying this cannot be useful or even helpful at times. But do we
want this?