Re: [ga] WHOIS data on .org domains

Marc and all former DNSO GA members or other interested parties,

  There are a number of tools such as ussearch.com, that will give
you allot more detailed, although likely not all accurate information
regarding individuals registered to what Domain names much
as whobiz.biz, which is highly inaccurate in the information it provides,
that can be useful and possibly even at times, helpful.  However due
often to the inaccuracy of such data retained from these tools, the
reliability of this information is often misused and promoted
in ways that are also harmful as well.  So like some filtering
software, these tools need to be used with care.

  I have a version of Carnivore, that I occasionally use.  I never
however have promoted the returned data in it's native form
to any public forum or otherwise, unless I have a legal reason
to do so, or and requested by law enforcement agencies
for that data.  The latter, has been requested on a few
occasions from myself, and I gladly complied.

  As to suggestions to Bruce, per his request.  The following
are some that our members have suggested on a number of
occasions:

1.) Remove Don Heath from the BoD at PIR

2.) Discontinue displaying registrants Addresses in your Whois
     data upon a display or provide for an opt-out to provide for
     this.

3.) Start conducting your business in an honest and forthright manner.

Marc Schneiders wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, at 12:44 [=GMT-0500], Bruce Beckwith wrote:
>
> > and as a global registry, we will not implement any product or
> > service without considering fully all implications from a world-wide
> > perspective.
>
> > We welcome comments and suggestions, either via lists, or off-list
>
> Thank you for your invitation. Maybe you can send an announcement to this
> list when plans for a whois that offers either more information or extra
> search facilities or options are on the table?
>
> It would not be nice if .ORG domain name holders suddenly would have to
> find out that people can see what other domains they registered, thanks to
> an innovative search engine, like the one at http://www.whobiz.biz.
>
> It would be great to know how many .ORG domains are registered in
> different countries and states, or how many registrants have more than 1
> domain. This sort of statistical information was published in the past by
> Networksolutions, and nobody found that a problem. In fact I regret that
> it is not done anymore, and never was in greater detail. So maybe PIR can
> take the lead in this respect?
>
> It would be horrible, if it were possible to find out online, which
> domains are owned by my neighbours. For .biz this may even be possible
> already, if you pay whobiz.biz. The free search is limited to Registrant
> Name, and this must match exactly. But with $$ you seem to be allowed to
> search on a street name in a specific city, or on a family name worldwide.
> Or for email addresses that contain a certain string, e.g. "Sandra" or
> "icann.org".
>
> I am not saying this cannot be useful or even helpful at times. But do we
> want this?

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801