Re: [ga] WHOIS data on .org domains

Thomas and all former DNSO GA members another interested parties,

  Excellent review and points of interest here Thomas.  Well done!

  Indeed all of us should understand the history or Whois as it relates
to registrants personal and private information in conjunction with
the growth of the Internet and registration activity over the past
3-4 years and the temptation or desire of some SIG's in that data
for marketing purposes.  Couple that with the RAA contracts,
and you have a circular situation that in obviously at least
hazardous if not dangerous to registrants from a number
of angles and directions.  Of course this had been discussed
at some length on this forum some time ago.  However sense
the questionable formation of the Whois Task force, mostly made
up of the very same people that have a concerted interest in
registrants personal and private information for marketing
purposes, it is pretty easy to see that continued abuses will
heaped upon the registrants with no ability of reasonable relief
except legal filings.

  Hence our members in close conjunction with our staff
had some time ago understood, and still believes that not
only is the RAA and the current Whois Task force harming
or setting up recommendation's in their final report's on Whois
to harm registrants, but are doing so knowingly and willingly.
PIR/ISOC not withstanding.  I can see now even more clear
why Don Heath, and the ISOC wanted and achieved removing
individual membership in the ISOC not long before getting the nod
for the .ORG registration contract with ICANN...

Thomas Roessler wrote:

> On 2003-02-13 11:56:07 -0500, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
>
> > Why does my expectation of privacy continue to be eroded in this
> > ICANN process?
>
> What makes this even more interesting is that PIR requires
> registrars to transfer WHOIS information to the registry, which will
> then be used to provide an xWHOIS service which permits searches by
> registrant name.  If you look at the European Commission's and
> IWGDPT's submissions to the WHOIS Task Force (they are linked from
> the final report and say some things about that kind of search
> service), you'll notice that the thin->thick transition is a legal
> can of worms at least (!) for European registrars.
>
> If I may dare an educated guess, their participation in the
> transition is illegal as long as the xWHOIS service is on the table
> and in the contracts.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Thomas Roessler                         <roessler@does-not-exist.org>

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801