Re: [ga] BULK whois

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 02:44:01PM -0800,
 eric@hi-tek.com <eric@hi-tek.com> wrote
 a message of 252 lines which said:

> 2} What you have to say here is bullshit.  Common sense, Common Law, Civil Law
> will tell you that a contract may not violate law.  Opt-out and getting off a
> spaming list is by law allowed.

In a sea of garbage (such as the mythical "two .biz" or the not-less
mythical Jeff Williams), this is a good point. Now, IANAL but:

* I'm not aware of any such law in the USA. If some people who know
this country better than I do can give actual references?

* Even in France, where the privacy law is generally regarded as quite
comprehensive, there is no general opt-out right. You have an
information right ("Your name and address will be recorded and sent to
the whole Universe on port 43. Click on Cancel if you do not want to
register a domain"), an access right ("What is exactly about me in
that file?"), which is provided by whois, BTW, a fixing right ("I was
never convicted, erase that erroneous information and do it now!"),
and a few others but not a general right to be removed from any list
you want. I would use it a lot, otherwise!