Re: [ga] whois.txt, ala robots.txt, as a standard ?

I fully agree with Leah. Unless you've been stalked you've no idea the
effect it has on you and on your family. The WHOIS exposes families to
wholly unwarranted dangers. If people want to disclose their private and
personal details, then those details are theirs to disclose. If people want
to exercise a reasonable right to guard their privacy, and in some cases
this may be a matter of life and death, then their details are theirs to
protect.

I'm arguing for *processes* to be set up, so that contact and verification
details can be securely secured... *not* broadcast all over the world.

Leah is right to suggest that the need for WHOIS may also threaten and
intimidate people acting (for example) as dissidents in violent regimes.
Admittedly at a national level, it's unlikely they wouldn't be tracked down
anyway - but the unstable individual stalker is less well equipped - it is
simply a sane and proper safeguard to allow people to withhold their private
details from immediate public scrutiny.

Richard Henderson

PS: I also agree with another point of yours, Leah, in a separate mail...
the ridiculous price of the redemption fee... what a total rip-off... I
think it verges on extortion money. Has ICANN got any idea what that kind of
money means in some parts of the world? How do they reach that figure and
justify it? Or is it simply greed?