Re: [ga] whois.txt, ala robots.txt, as a standard ?

On 7 Feb 2003 at 12:01, Dan Steinberg wrote:

> where a teen overdosed on drugs which in a chatroom and on cam. The
> >victim even mentions WHOIS in the chat logs, as a way to reach his
> >family or for 911. Tragically, the WHOIS appears to have been
> >inaccurate (phone number was a phone 555-1234), and the teen died. I've
> >personally talked a few folks out of suicide online, and in one case had
> >to rely upon WHOIS to help reach one of their relatives. Others have done
> >the same, reaching their ISP, etc....when time is of the essence, every
> >piece of data helps.

This would be a case for law enforcement and data would then be available
in Karl's scenario.  Law enforcement would have access credentials to
obtain registration information and the information under those
circumstances would more likely be accurate since people would not be so
reluctant to provide it.

> >So, the question for society and policy-makers: who should bear the
> >costs? Should it be legitimate Privacy-seekers who can spend a couple of
> >dollars per year? Or society at large, where legitimate individuals and
> >companies might need to spend thousands of dollars to get the privacy
> >through increased legal costs, time delays, and the suffering of greater
> >abuse?

Sorry, but if it costs money to pursue a legal case, then it costs money.
There is no "right" of litigators to have personal identifiying
information without having to ask for it.

> >Having private WHOIS is really "security by obscurity", ultimately,
> >which those in the security business will tell you is the *worst* kind of
> >security to rely upon. A determined person can kill you, no matter what
> >you do! Scary isn't it? I don't lose much sleep at night, though, over
> >that truth. What kind of message does it give vulnerable people that to be
> >safe, they need to hide? Folks should publish their contact details
> >proudly and show they're not afraid.

Excuse me.  If you have been stalked because of a public database, then
tell me about it.  If not, please don't tell me to publish my or my
family's personal information to aid the stalker.  I now covet my privacy
and beware if you just show up at my door or call me on my unlisted
telephone number.  My address is not published in any phone directory that
I am aware of either.

I'm sure that if someone really wants to find me, they can do so by
conducting searches.  However, I have no intention of making it easy for
them by having the information published for world-wide access by anyone
at any time.

 If the other person has to reveal
> >themselves to take their shot at you, that might be your chance to protect
> >the rest of society, by catching them.

Where did you come up with that?  Have you heard of snipers?  Stalkers?
They don't reveal themselves.  They hide.  They stalk.  They use whatever
means they can to disguise themselves so you can't shoot back.  They
harrass, intimidate, threaten and cause fear, panic and misery.

Just for giggles, have you ever tried to get the name of a collection
agent?  They use pseudonyms so that you can't get to them.  I was not
allowed to give my real name when I worked in collections.  Why?  Death
threats, threats of harm to my family, etc.  Many times you can't even
find out the address of the offices because they get threats of violence
to the offices.  They have to hide to do their jobs.

Now just imagine if someone didn't like your personal website and decided
to come after you (think anti-choice since I don't like the other word).
Think doctors who perform procedures.  WHOIS was never meant to be used
the way it is now and individuals have ever more need to keep that
information away from the public eye.

You want to sue me?  Do your due diligence the way it has always been
done.  I'm not going to help you.  It is especially true today with our
frivilously litigeous mindset.  Peopel are dragged into court for the most
ridiculous things, costing them their homes, savings and emotional health.
 Why should they provide their information to those who would harrass them
in this manner?

Leah