Re: [ga] whois.txt, ala robots.txt, as a standard ?

Steven and all former DNSO GA members or other interested parties,

  I think it is obvious that the Whois TF is constituted by relative
amateurs in IT technology as this final report obviously shows.

  Indeed you are quite right Whois has been, and should remain
Application neutral as you rightly indicate Steven..

Steven Heath wrote:

> > 2. the whois is actually accessed through HTTP by the users.
> >      so it is fallacious to use that "domain names are more
> >      than http related": they are at least whois/http related today.
>
> Just because one can access something via one means (in this case whois data
> via http) does not mean that it IS http based.
>
> This is like saying that as I use a 4 wheel drive vehicle on a motorway that
> no other type of vehicle can be used.
>
> My comment of whois should be 'application neutral' is in fact supported by
> your comment about http access.
>
> Finally your comment '...so it is fallacious to use that "domain names are
> more
> than http related"...' is in fact disingenuous as whois is NOT dependant or
> solely used by http. They are only related in the fact one (http) CAN be
> used to access other (whois).
>
> I cant see much value in a http based applications having 'enhanced'
> whois/domain name related information, but that's me. However, if others do
> see the value then by all means do it.
>
> Steven Heath
> www.nznews.org.nz

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801