Re: [ga] CRADA reports

On 12:56 22/01/03, vinton g. cerf said:
>we agree this is of high importance!
>we're working on it and hope to have releasable information soon.

This would be of high interest.

With the ICP-3 compliant dot-root project we have started to implement a
DNS real life test bench. It is a triple (right now) parallel root server
systems. The target is first to stabilize these three systems - one (today
with 8 machines) is a strict test copy of the RSSAC. It will serve as a
reference system and to test the DNS evolution/projects in a single root
file mode. We hope we can have a forth root system soon, so we would have a
fully three parallel system, necessary for consistency mutual checks and
full  verification of the automated root file generation (from TLD
Managers' data).

When we have enough root servers from enough different countries and when
our internal procedures and ULDs (test TLDs aliased as community SLDs)
start being stable enough we will open the system to every interested DNS
oriented project manager. Hopefully by mid-2003 (we hoped earlier but
things take time). In the meanwhile we are working on the reporting tools
and monitoring. Our target is to provide a DNS test system as requested by
ICP-3, in a complete real life approach: mixing technical, societal and
political aspects, what the "mission creep" taught us the real world is. So
we might test also economical and governance models.

Everyone interested in helping with editing or any other contributions
(local machine hosting: USA, South America) or in joining with a test root
server machine (low test load) is welcome. This is an internet global
community project the European test roots have catalyzed, but we have/plan
partners from several other parts of the world, including, and this what is
exciting, developing countries. So Africa for example will share in
building the Internet of the future and can share in testing solutions
fitting their own needs and vision of the nets. As such we really feel we
are part of the WSIS effort.

A part from root automated generation, now pre-tested for nearly one year,
we are now considering the automated generation of a full test IANA file.
We are working on a consolidated reporting tool using a specialized web
service (it is necessary to have comparative reports by root systems), then
an alarm system and an underlay network. We also hope to be able to run
around 1100 test TLDs first, and then 35.000 by mid-2003, all of them
hopefully with real test daily traffic (so there is an actual random load
at user request's every TTL). This will be reported for information to the
IETF when we find an experienced benevolent Editor. We are completing right
now two studies (250 pages) on the project and the management of ULDs (in
French) and looking for sponsors now the project has probably taken off.
BTW, would ICANN not help?

So we know root systems are important and that it takes time to help. But
we also start seing that a small team can catalyse and deliver  :-)
jfc