ICANN/GNSO
DNSO and GNSO Mailling lists archives

Re: [ga] Legitimate Hi-Jacking

On Wednesday 04 September 2002 03:47 pm, John Berryhill Ph.D. J.D. wrote:
> Mike is talking about taking the domain name out of the relevant zone.  He
> is not talking about deleting the domain name registration.  Mike's idea
> makes infinitely more sense than deleting the name in 15 days.

Yes, I realize that.  I guess I got over verbose, but my point was that given
the time frame, even doing that and rendering the domain unrsolvable before
the registrant can even respond is not good either.  I would say that
extending the time frame to at least thirty days would provide enough time
for the registrant to place a phone call or fax after notification.

I would hate to have my domains not resolve simply because my mail carrier is
misdelivering mail and taking weeks to get it to me.  FYI, it happens every
week.  I've also had to change ISPs and have had connectivity issues for the
past year.  I do use my primary domain for the email contact on my domains
because of the ISP problems, but if there were a notification problem due to
glitches in the systems and the domain went dark, I'd have a real problem.
The whole idea of having the domain is that I can use it for email no matter
what ISP I am subscribed to. I am willing to bet I'm not alone by a long
shot.

I try to keep on top of domain renewals and do pretty well.  However, with WLS
on the horizon, I would suggest that registrants be VERY concerned.  I
suspect that you attorneys might just do well with lawsuits coming up over
it.  In the meantime, we registrants have a lot to lose.

Leah