ICANN/GNSO
DNSO and GNSO Mailling lists archives

RE: [ga] Legitimate Hi-Jacking

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, at 12:52 [=GMT-0400], Michael D. Palage wrote:

> I believe the easiest way to prevent the scenario you discussed is to
> provide a longer runway prior to deleting the domain name for inaccurate
> data. I believe that after not responding to a 15 day whois inquiry, the
> domain name should be put on hold (removed from the zone files)

That might be an interesting tool to get your competitor's web and mail
down for a day or so. I can well imagine that companies who have paid the
registration for 5 or 10 years in advance might not deal fast enough (esp.
when they are big and bureaucratic) with emails send to email addresses
like: hostmaster@, dns-admin@. Two weeks is not much. Also addresses in
whois get a lot of spam. I delete most of that on the basis of the
subject. Things like "Warning about your domain name", "Urgent: Your reply
needed within 24 hours" are likely candidates here. Maybe there should be
a secret (i.e. not available in whois)  address on which we receive
messages from our registrar about expiration, whois problems and the like?
That I would find helpfull.