ICANN/GNSO
DNSO and GNSO Mailling lists archives

Re: [ga] 0:212 BIZ.....going out of BIZness ?

From: "John Palmer" <jp@ADNS.NET>
> There is no such thing as "128-bit DNS". If so, where are the RFCs for the technical
> standards?
========

By RFC, do you mean something like this ?

http://www.armware.dk/RFC/rfc/rfc25.html
http://rfc.sunsite.dk/rfc/rfc25.html
http://community.roxen.com/developers/idocs/rfc/rfc25.html
Network Working Group                                      Steve Crocker
Request for Comments: 25                                            UCLA

                           NO HIGH LINK NUMBERS

Because it may be desirable to reserve one or more link numbers for
instrumentation purposes, and because 256 link numbers are many more
than are needed, we suggest that no link number over 63 be used.  At
UCLA, we will implement our tables to take advantage of this limitation.
We also note that 32 may be even more realistic, but 64 is certainly
sufficient.
With respect to "128-bit DNS"...are you familiar with AAAA DNS Records ?
AAAA Records are not to be confused with A6 Records...used with IPv6...
AAAA Records are very similar to A Records...which contain 32-bits...
AAAA Records contain 128-bits...which is 32x4=128...note the four letters (AAAA)
Are you familiar with the 160-bits in an IPv4 Header ?
Do you know which of those 160-bits (in the IPv4 Header) are set when you put an A Record in the DNS ?
Do you know which of those 160-bits (in the IPv4 Header) are set when you put a 128-bit AAAA Record in the DNS ?
To make it more simple, how about when you put the year (2002) in the left-most 128-bits ?
http://www.ethereal.com
http://www.netfilter.org
Have you tried ?....2911: ?...or next year's version ?...2003: ?...or 3911: ?
Jim Fleming2002:[IPv4]:000X:03DB:...IPv8 is closer than you
think...http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-spacehttp://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt