Re: [ga] Why has Verisign stolen my favourite game site?

Andy and all former GA members,

  It is likely that you will not get any information from Verisign is that
they are in a an agreement with snapnames, which stands to make some
$$ if what you contend as a rumor is accurate.  It is a synch, that ICANN
doesn't know what is going on in this area amongst a number of others..
Hence I would say that the situation you outline here Andy is now
going to be kept in the dark for awhile now or only discussed on one
of the many ICANN created TF's or committee forums which most
registrants cannot post to presently...

  So much for openness and transparency...  :(

Andy Gardner wrote:

> I like playing Civilisation III on my Mac.
>
> Every once in a while I go to the software maker's site to check for
> upgrades...
>
> http://www.wizardworks.com
>
> That's funny - today it's got Verisign's "under construction" template running.
>
> What's every STRANGER is the WHOIS record:
>
> ******
>
> Registrant:
> Verisign, Inc. (JKNJCFMYMD)
>    21355 Ridgetop Circle, MS 205-4
>    Dulles, VA 20166
>    US
>
>    Domain Name: WIZARDWORKS.COM
>
>    Administrative Contact:
>       Verisign, Inc.  (MOFGWRQFMO)              no.valid.email@worldnic.com
>       Verisign, Inc.
>       21355 Ridgetop Circle, MS 205-4
>       Dulles, VA 20166
>       US
>       1-866-734-8776 (NA) fax: 1-703-326-6225 (Intl)
>    Technical Contact:
>       VeriSign, Inc.  (HOST-ORG)                namehost@WORLDNIC.NET
>       VeriSign, Inc.
>       21355 Ridgetop Circle
>       Dulles, VA 20166
>       US
>       1-888-642-9675
>
>    Record expires on 12-Jan-2004.
>    Record created on 12-Jan-1999.
>    Database last updated on 21-Dec-2002 11:27:02 EST.
>
>    Domain servers in listed order:
>
>    NS11.WORLDNIC.COM            216.168.225.141
>    NS12.WORLDNIC.COM            216.168.225.142
>
>  ******
>
> I'm pretty sure Verisign hasn't owned this name since 1999 (a visit to
> http://web.archive.org/web/20011009000209/http://www.wizardworks.com/
> appears to confirm this), and I can't see why the correct owner would give
> the name away to Verisign, especially since Verisign doesn't appear to want
> to make Civ3 updates available on their website.
>
> So something fishy's going on here. I'd say it's most likely another
> MONUMENTAL COCK-UP by Verisign. I heard a rumour going around that Verisign
> deleted a whole bunch of domain names in error earlier this week. Was this
> one of the victims?
>
> How about someone from Verisign tell us what the hell is going on?
>
> --
> Andrew P. Gardner
> barcelona.com stolen, stmoritz.com stays. What's uniform about the UDRP?
> We could ask ICANN to send WIPO a clue, but do they have any to spare?
> Get active: http://www.tldlobby.com

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801