Root Server Operators' Revolution? (Re: [ga] ga chair elections)

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, at 09:44 [=GMT+1300], DPF wrote:

> The Board, IIRC, has voted to abolish the GA in its current form so
> there is no point in going to new elections because by the time they
> could be concluded the jobs will not exist

If we apply the same logic to ICANN itself, we can stop alltogether to
talk about the organization. By the time we reach some conclusion, even if
we are fast, ICANN might not exist any more. The new contract was quite
clear about expectations of DoC regarding visible progress in ICANN's
relations with root server operators (see below: "absolutely curcial").
Two root server operators have recently published plans (see below) as far
as we know completely without consulting ICANN, let alone request its
approval. Neither text even mentions ICANN. It doesn't seem likely that
the root server operators will sign any contracts soon. Are they still
communicating with ICANN, I wonder.

f.root:

http://www.isc.org/ISC/news/pr-11172002.html

k.root:

http://www.ripe.net/ripe/draft-documents/k-root-anycasting.html

In the statement regarding the new contract with ICANN DoC says:

"Given the importance of this issue to Internet security and stability,
Amendment 5 to the MOU refines and underscores the existing MOU task for
ICANN to review the current status of the root server system and to
propose and implement enhanced architecture for root server security
(ICANN Task 5).

!!! The Department considers the completion of this task absolutely
!!! crucial, particularly in today's post-September 11th world.

Amendment 5 sets forth a due date of November 30, 2002 for the report
detailing the root server system's status, and a due date of December 31,
2002 for the enhanced architecture proposal. Additionally, the Department
also strongly urges ICANN and the root server system operators to take
such steps as are necessary to complete negotiation on any pending draft
agreement and execute such agreement no later than December 31, 2002."

(http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/agreements/docstatement_09192002.htm)