Re: [ga] Interesting WIPO ruling re: NewZealand.biz

ummmmmmmm,
I have been following this thread in silence for a while but I fear its time
for me to say something.

My 'something' is in the form of a question: the question is.........
why bother? as everyone agrees.... .int is sparsely populated.  So why mess
with it?  Are we setting an example? are we setting precedents for others to
follow? at the end of the day...will it make a difference?  with so many .org
and .net that dont appear to follow the rulez... since we appear to agree it is
impractical to make changes there...why bother worrying about dot int?
sure...as Roberto says, it is probably possible.  But many things are
possible.  Would our energies not be better spent doing something that actual
makes a difference?

Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> David Farrar wrote:
>

> >As a point of principle I don't believe any registrant who is
> >operating in good faith should lose their domain name due to
> >retrospective policy changes.

> >So good idea to tighten up criteria for .int but kicking out current
> >registrants would set a fairly nasty thin end of the wedge principle.
> >

> Agree.
> I donīt think that current "bona fide" registrants in .int will be kicked
> out, but on one hand, given the small number thereof, it should be possible
> to get to a transaction with them so that the migration out could be
> consensual, and on the other hand, for new registrants it should be made
> clear that they are allowed the use of the name as long as they comply with
> the charter, and as soon as this condition is no longer verified, the loss
> of the name should be automatic.
>
> Regards
> Roberto

Dan Steinberg