Re: [ga] Interesting WIPO ruling re: NewZealand.biz

Dan and all assembly members,

  Good points here Dan!  Well done!

  As you probably know Dan, some folks have long been concerned
about who registers a DN in what Name space for what reason or
usage.  Hence the great interest in attempting to take long standing
practice, and retrofit it back into rules that were long ago discarded
and than reinstating those rules as if they applied today.  This to
me is a form of wanting to control the stakeholders/users to a
very specific and defined degree.  It also to me shows that a
tiny group of stakeholders/users is disarrange to control a much
larger group to and extend that is extraordinary at this juncture
of stage in the DNS history or history of some name spaces.

  So make a long story short, all of this yacking smells allot like
a way of justifying restraint of trade and DN stealing/acquiring
by and for different interested parties presently not holding those
particular DN's in those particular Name spaces (TLD's)...

  Of course none of this sort of manipulating should be unexpected.
I know that some in the NCDNHC as well as many or our [INEGroup]
members have been expecting some sort of movement in this skewed
direction.  This is in part the motivations behind the WHOIS TF
recommendations.  In other words, looking for vehicles to implement
that can and will be used to rest DN's from their proper and/or
original registrants regardless of cause...  The UDRP is and has
always been a tool for the IP community for this purpose as well.

Dan Steinberg wrote:

> ummmmmmmm,
> I have been following this thread in silence for a while but I fear its time
> for me to say something.
>
> My 'something' is in the form of a question: the question is.........
> why bother? as everyone agrees.... .int is sparsely populated.  So why mess
> with it?  Are we setting an example? are we setting precedents for others to
> follow? at the end of the day...will it make a difference?  with so many .org
> and .net that dont appear to follow the rulez... since we appear to agree it is
> impractical to make changes there...why bother worrying about dot int?
> sure...as Roberto says, it is probably possible.  But many things are
> possible.  Would our energies not be better spent doing something that actual
> makes a difference?
>
> Roberto Gaetano wrote:
>
> > David Farrar wrote:
> >

> > >As a point of principle I don't believe any registrant who is
> > >operating in good faith should lose their domain name due to
> > >retrospective policy changes.

> > >So good idea to tighten up criteria for .int but kicking out current
> > >registrants would set a fairly nasty thin end of the wedge principle.
> > >

> > Agree.
> > I donīt think that current "bona fide" registrants in .int will be kicked
> > out, but on one hand, given the small number thereof, it should be possible
> > to get to a transaction with them so that the migration out could be
> > consensual, and on the other hand, for new registrants it should be made
> > clear that they are allowed the use of the name as long as they comply with
> > the charter, and as soon as this condition is no longer verified, the loss
> > of the name should be automatic.
> >
> > Regards
> > Roberto

> Dan Steinberg
>
> SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology
> 35, du Ravin  phone: (613) 794-5356
> Chelsea, Quebec  fax:   (819) 827-4398
> J9B 1N1                 e-mail:synthesis@videotron.ca

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801