RE: [ga] ITU wants to wiggle into Internet domain name space

The text posted at Yahoo is not quite identical to the article as published
on page A9 of the 21 October 2002 Wall Street Journal  Europe.

Joe's summary of the the Yahoo version contains, in my personal opinion,
some statements that are not quite right.

As I've pointed out before, the ITU's membership is very large and includes
many different types of companies, so I don't think it is correct to state
that the ITU "is dominated by international telecom companies", but that is
just my personal opinion.

With respect to the statement "and must seek member government approval for
ITU policies", ITU does operate on the basis of consensus, however, ITU does
not set "policies".  The part of ITU that I work for, ITU-T, the former
CCITT, produces non-binding Recommendations, such as for modems, xDSL, etc.

The quote from Milton Muller is, I believe, placed in an incorrect context,
since I understand that Milton makes the point that whoever (whether
governments or not) controls domain names has a point of leverage for
enforcing regulation. In any case, since ITU-T produces non-binding
Recommendations, I don't quite understand how ITU-T would be able to "take
away someone's domain name".

Also, the quote from David Johnson is not quite the same as what Joe shows
below.

The article as published in the Wall Street Journal Europe quotes David as
saying:

"If they [at the ITU] strongly argue governments and only governments can
make policy, we will likely see an increase in government efforts to
regulate the Internet.  If they surprise skeptics by taking the approach of
saying we're committed to private-sector coordination rather than top-down
regulation, they might turn out to be the friend of competition and
decentralized decision-making".

Since the text of the revised Resolution 102 has already been posted to this
distribution list, I would suggest that people can read it and draw their
own conclusions.

Best,
Richard

Richard Hill