Re: [ga] ITU Resolution 102 -- four years later

On 13:57 18/10/02, Stephane Bortzmeyer said:
>And will they do better than, say, the current RIRs? In what way? Will
>they "take", at least, some of the many unused IP addresses from the
>North to give them to the South?
>
>I'm not interested in which bureaucracy will manage the Internet. I'm
>interested in the actual policy they will follow.

One of the interesting possibilities would be to distribute IPv6 blocks on
a per country basis to respect an equal right to numbers, the ccTLDs
becoming also national RIRs (with the possibility to subcontract to
existing RIRs - cf. RFC 1591). What would solidify the LIC around the NIC
and stabilize the NIC economy and legal situation giving it legal
protection and stability.

Apart from being a tremendous action against the digital divide and for a
democratic sustainable development (developing countries would not have to
pay undue rights to developed countries) this would dramatically protect
everyone against hidden exclusion while increasing security.

I explain. Today hidden filtering, wiretapping and rerouting may be made
via the DNs, what is an hidden method. A few lines in the root file are
enough to e-embargo Iraq. Now let assume IPs are per country blocks. Due to
the created momentum the root system will most probably be already run by
parallel country/regional root systems (for security partitioning). It
would be then far more secure and cheaper to filter in/out all the Iraqi
IPs. But it would call for a law in the filtering country. It is also a
protection because when you filter out the block you also filter out your
friends in that country - who may use dynamic IPs for security.

You may note that this is what is going on with telephone. European mobile
system is a good image.
Obviously the paperwork and administration could be quite reduced. You
usually get a phone number in seconds.

jfc