Re: [ga] Interesting WIPO ruling re: NewZealand.biz

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 11:28:18AM -0400, John Berryhill Ph.D. J.D. wrote:

> > Sorry, that is irrelevant, and worse, misleading.  It says "...that
> > didn't fit anywhere else", and .com is specifically for commercial
> > entities.  Since all commercial entities "fit" in .com, it follows that
> > .org is for entities that are non-commercial.
>
> Not at all.  If a commercial entity is called <NAME> and <NAME>.com is
> already taken, then that commercial entity will not "fit" in .com as
> <NAME>.com.  If the .org version of the name is not taken, then that
> commercial entity will "fit" in .org as <NAME>.org.  I imagine that one's
> point of view is determined by how one reads the word "fit".

Yes -- one can read it like a sophist.  So what?

The text was about criteria for *registrants*, not *names*, and said
"organizations that didn't fit" -- ie, didn't meet the criteria.  It was
not about "names that didn't fit".  You (and Froomkin) can mince words
all day, but the meaning is quite clear, and you know it.