Re: [ga] FW: Comment from the gTLD Registry Constituency

Hello,

--- Bret Fausett <fausett@lextext.com> wrote:
> where is the gTLD registry interest? Under the "equal voting
> representation"
> plan, however, when UDRP revision comes up for consideration in the
> GNSO
> Council, the gTLD registries will have 25% of the votes. Does that
> make any
> sense? By the same token, where's the intellectual property interest
> (as
> distinguishable from the interests of registrants generally) in
> transfers?
> Yet we're setting up a system in which established groups will have a
> set
> vote on each and every issue.

The same thing happens in government all the time. For instance, a US
Federal bill which mostly affects residents of Texas, say for a
military base closing, or that mainly affects steel producing states
(e.g. introduction of trade tariffs on foreign steel) are still voted
upon by the entire legislature, including members from Rhode Island.
Often there are secondary impacts on others (e.g. higher tariffs might
mean higher car prices, due to higher steel prices), and those parties
seemingly less affected might actually be more affected.

Those who truly are not impacted directly can still use their votes to
help arrive at a just policy (e.g. at the UN, my own country of Canada
isn't hugely impacted by events in Africa, relative to countries that
are much closer, but can use its voice and votes to try to reach good
recommendations and be respected for that because they are somewhat
impartial.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/