Re: [ga] FW: Comment from the gTLD Registry Constituency

On Tuesday 01 October 2002 02:35 pm, Cassidy Sehgal wrote:
> Its implicit in the position. Further, I've heard it said many times "Users
> should not have a role in determining the policies/rules/processes/code
> that registries/registrars are forced to implement."
>

>                        -rwr

I disagree.  Under the present circumstances, where users are detrementally
impacted by policy with little or no choice of alternatives, they must have a
voice in any policy regardless of how it is to be implemented.  As long as
policy is uniform among all registries and policy impacts an interested party
there must be a voice.

The real solution is for ICANN to simply stay out of business practices policy
and allow the users to choose what registries they are willing to do business
with.   However, until there is *real* choice among many gTLDs, it is all
moot, IMO.  Users must have a substantial vote on any policy that impacts
them under present conditions.

Leah