Re: [ga] FW: Comment from the gTLD Registry Constituency

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 13:36:47 -0400, you wrote:

>Thanks Elizabeth, we do recognize the difference at Neustar.  However, we
>also recognize that there are certain issues that should be considered
>"global policy issues" and for these it is more appropriate to have a global
>body, like the ICANN, to provide that forum than to rely on just the local
>community.  A few examples of these types of issues include (1) Grace
>Periods, (2) Transfers, (3) Escrow, (4) Dispute Resolution Policies, and (5)
>Uniform Deletion Periods, etc.

From the consumer's perspective, especially if international, life would be
easier if all TLDs, either global or country based, adopted similar policies
and instruments for registration - I tried it on my own, and registering and
maintaining domain names spanning over a large number of g- and cc-TLDs is
almost a nightmare.

However, this should be accomplished more by developing intelligent open
standards that countries should adopt whenever they like it, rather than by
forcing them from the centre. Even if you thought that there can be an
uniform solution applicable to the whole world, you have to cope with the
fact that something called "national sovereignty" still exists and that most
countries of the world still like to manage things their own way, rather
than the way an US-based corporation would think desirable.

But personally, I think that there is still so much cultural difference
between the world's countries that a solution which fits the needs and
customs of the whole world cannot exist. The Internet has grown and will
grow thanks to its ability to be managed locally and loosely as much as
possible, as opposite to strongly centralized networks, which are too rigid
to encompass the world's needs, and have almost disappeared (at least in the
data space).
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
--------> http://bertola.eu.org/ - Archivio FAQ e molto altro... <--------