RE: [ga] FW: Comment from the gTLD Registry Constituency

Gene,

I think you hit the nail on the head with regard to accountability.

With regard to user representation, I personally think that may always be a
very difficult challenge.  But it is one that I believe can be mostly dealt
with by letting market mechanisms work as freely as possible so that users
can speak through their buying patterns.  This does not at all mean that
users should not have a prominent role in policy making within the ICANN
environment.  It just means that the policy making procedures may always
have limited effectiveness with regard to user representation.

With regard to TLDs, users have quite a lot of choices now and hopefully
even more in the future.  But if all registries are required to have the
same policies, that will not give users as much choice as would be the case
where registries could offer varying policies.  That is why I believe that
global policies should be kept to a minimum, restricted to those that are
essential for technical coordination of the net.

Chuck