Re: [ga] FW: Comment from the gTLD Registry Constituency

Of course, but the point missed or avoided is that the Registries are
akin to mini-monopolies.  If it wasn't for that stark differentiation,
Free Enterprise would be the best course.

Monday, September 30, 2002, 7:21:18 AM, Gomes, Chuck <cgomes@verisign.com> wrote:
GC> Gene,

GC> I think you hit the nail on the head with regard to accountability.

GC> With regard to user representation, I personally think that may always be a
GC> very difficult challenge.  But it is one that I believe can be mostly dealt
GC> with by letting market mechanisms work as freely as possible so that users
GC> can speak through their buying patterns.  This does not at all mean that
GC> users should not have a prominent role in policy making within the ICANN
GC> environment.  It just means that the policy making procedures may always
GC> have limited effectiveness with regard to user representation.

GC> With regard to TLDs, users have quite a lot of choices now and hopefully
GC> even more in the future.  But if all registries are required to have the
GC> same policies, that will not give users as much choice as would be the case
GC> where registries could offer varying policies.  That is why I believe that
GC> global policies should be kept to a minimum, restricted to those that are
GC> essential for technical coordination of the net.

GC> Chuck

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
donbrown_l@inetconcepts.net         http://www.inetconcepts.net
PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
----