Re: [ga] FW: Comment from the gTLD Registry Constituency

Chuck and all assembly members,

Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> I disagree with a couple points Karl.  Public utility commissions are
> properly equipped to perform their regulatory role and they provide
> procedures of due process;

  Not all PUC's are properly equipped as we have seen not too long ago
in California...

> that makes them a very poor comparison with
> ICANN.

  Really?  Well that depends I suppose on your point of view, Chuck.
As has been demonstrated in Calif. PUC's their are not by in large
properly equipped to do their regulatory duties effectively.  Hence
the ongoing need for the Department of Energy...  ICANN by that
same token or for the same reasons needs the DOC/NTIA as it stands
now for proper oversight.  This will likely be ongoing for a number
of years if not decades even if the current "Version" of ICANN
ceases to exist.

>  ICANN was given a very narrow mission not at all like the mission of
> PUCs. Also, I know its popular to think that ICANN is captured by those it
> regulates, and for our own business interests, I almost wish that was the
> case.  But that has not been our experience.  Moreover, a simple look at the
> DNSO and in particular the NC, clearly shows that that is not the case
> there.

  Good point here.  Indeed ICANN is not completely yet captured
by those it is supposed to "Regulate".  But it is getting very dangerously
close to it.  And that is problemsom to stakeholders/users.

> Chuck

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801