RE: [ga] FW: Comment from the gTLD Registry Constituency

On 15:42 29/09/02, Gomes, Chuck said:
>I disagree with a couple points Karl.  Public utility commissions are

Dear Chuck,
I am sorry but this is out of Internet context and entrapped by ICANN.

- as soon as you use a word specific to one administrative culture you are
out of international context.
PUC for me means Paris University Club, a very well known and old sport
club which grand-fathered the Olympic movement.

- when you use an US word you alos are entrapped into ICANN scenario.
Intuitively or well planned ICANN is only here to enforce an US
understanding of the Internet that as a European user I oppose on quite
every ground (47 USC 230 (f)(1): the international computer network of both
federal and non federal interoperable packet switch networks).

ICANN has no military capacity to enforce such a technically restrictive
and politically disputable vision. This is a technical and way of life step
back or even two steps back for us, making a technical control impossible
(except through the "root bluff"). So Joe Sims tries to reach that control
through contractual over complexity, weaving his contractual web.

With 11/9 the USA are to chose: either Joe Sims or Richard Clarke. History
may very well remember that decision as the most important impact of 9/11.
IMHO none of these options is a good one. I only hope Richard Clarke has
understood what Ireland understood as early as 1983 and wants to use the
coming months to make people believe they initiatiated that dramatic change
from Computer Inquiry and 1996, there is a datanetwork per se ad there is a
railway, a postal, an airline etc.. network, part of the support of the
human global network society. And that trains did not create a "Station
Society".
jfc