Re: [ga] FW: Comment from the gTLD Registry Constituency

> (As an example of a large affect on a single domain name holder - One
> could well conclude that the single DNS user IBM would be affected more
> than the total value of neustar by the failure of "ibm.com" to work.)

One can definitely conclude that.  gTLDs are a public trust, not some
business opportunity.

> The "mine is bigger therefore I get more say" argument is one that has
> been one of the primary sources of ICANN's failures.

A huge degree of respect for the size and potential of a may-never-materialize
"domain name industry" seems to have led people to forget that the DNS is a
service.  We're not here to give startups a comfortable sense of the future,
we're here to make sure domain names resolve into IP addresses and MX records.

> 		--karl--

Carl