Re: [ga] Froomkin's antitrust advice

Mr. Simms,

Professor Froomkin wasn't giving legal advice. He was presenting a
paper. It is done all the time in the legal and legal/academic
communities and you know that.

College Professors are often mediators, otherwise represent clients
and more than just a little bit involved in the actual, real world
legal process. You know that, also. After all, you did go to law
school, didn't you? Didn't a Professor teach you torts, for instance?

Further, he was not attempting to discredit your legal acumen as you have
attempted to do to him.  He was merely presently a paper, which is
topical.  Can you spell W-L-S?

Therefore, if there was anything "worthless" it is the instant message
below.

Your post, in typical insurance defense counsel's style, adds no
positive value to the conversation and only merits disdain. It is
merely an attempt to lead the less informed up rabbit trails and to
stifle the process of meaningful communication.  You only add to the
cost of the process, which is also typical of insurance defense
counsel.

Your own integrity would have been better served, absent the below
post.  To say it was disingenuous would be understated.

You can fool some of the people some of the time . . .

Thanks,

Wednesday, September 25, 2002, 5:10:00 PM, Joe Sims <jsims@JonesDay.com> wrote:

JS> I suggest that readers take Professor Froomkin's advice on antitrust with a
JS> very large grain of salt; it would be an understatement to say he is not an
JS> antitrust expert.  Any competent antitrust lawyer would tell you that
JS> concluding that something is an antitrust violation without a clear
JS> understanding of all the facts, considered in the full context of the
JS> environment in which the specific conduct is taking place, is essentially
JS> worthless.  If anyone has any personal or corporate concerns about
JS> antitrust, they should seek competent antitrust counsel; debating these
JS> issues in the abstract is not likely to accomplish anything. And in the
JS> FWIW category, I found his article simplistic and, like all his other
JS> writings on ICANN, obviously colored by his personal views of the
JS> enterprise.  Just a personal opinion.

JS> Joe Sims

JS> --
JS> This message was passed to you via the ga@dnso.org list.

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
donbrown_l@inetconcepts.net         http://www.inetconcepts.net
PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
----