Re: [ga] Has ICANN departments? (NOT about alt roots)

Marc and all assembly members or other interested parties,

  Isn't interdepartmental bureaucracy laugh!  ROFLMAO!

  Looks allot like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing
doesn't it?  Why am I not surprised?  Well the answer is pretty simple
and based in IANA history.  Some of us here know that history
from the NSF days....  Others here don't.  And that is a way
is a shame...

Marc Schneiders wrote:

> Tonight I was playing a bit, and discovered by sheer accident another
> little weirdness in how ICANN handles DNS. This one is really funny. It
> seems to indicate that ICANN by now already has departments. Departments,
> moreover, that do not communicate with each other.
>
> Quite recently we could read here a joint letter from Vint Cerf and Stuart
> Lynn about the fight between ICANN and 3 ccTLDs, which refuse to allow
> ICANN to do a zone transfer. As a result ICANN refuses to update the
> nameservers of these ccTLDs in the root.
>
> Now, here comes the funny part. One of the three naughty ccTLDs, Greece,
> has a new nameserver, but ICANN refuses to add that to the root zone. Now
> guess where this nameserver (sort of blackholed by ICANN) is?
>
> For security and stability reasons it is far away from Greece. In Marina
> del Rey. And guess who runs this new nameserver for Greece? Yes, yes, yes,
> ICANN.
>
> So some Dept of ICANN sets up and maintains a nameserver for Greece, a lot
> of work, and another Dept of ICANN refuses to put this nameserver in the
> root zone, which takes a minute?
>
> Is this an apt example of the different functions of ICANN and
> ICANN-acting-as-IANA?

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801