[ga] Has ICANN departments? (NOT about alt roots)

Tonight I was playing a bit, and discovered by sheer accident another
little weirdness in how ICANN handles DNS. This one is really funny. It
seems to indicate that ICANN by now already has departments. Departments,
moreover, that do not communicate with each other.

Quite recently we could read here a joint letter from Vint Cerf and Stuart
Lynn about the fight between ICANN and 3 ccTLDs, which refuse to allow
ICANN to do a zone transfer. As a result ICANN refuses to update the
nameservers of these ccTLDs in the root.

Now, here comes the funny part. One of the three naughty ccTLDs, Greece,
has a new nameserver, but ICANN refuses to add that to the root zone. Now
guess where this nameserver (sort of blackholed by ICANN) is?

For security and stability reasons it is far away from Greece. In Marina
del Rey. And guess who runs this new nameserver for Greece? Yes, yes, yes,
ICANN.

So some Dept of ICANN sets up and maintains a nameserver for Greece, a lot
of work, and another Dept of ICANN refuses to put this nameserver in the
root zone, which takes a minute?

Is this an apt example of the different functions of ICANN and
ICANN-acting-as-IANA?