Re: [ga] Business Constituency

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 14:57:45 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>On a more serious note, would folks support an individual domain name
>holders constituency, where voting weight was determined by: (...)
>
>So, a single member with, say, 100 domains would have 10 times the
>voting weight of a single member with 1 domain. This would prevent it
>from being controlled by large firms.

The issue is that firms should go to the Business Constituency - in my view,
the Individual Domain Name Holders should only be for true individuals, ie
people who have at least one domain registered to them (not to a company for
which they figure as the admin-c or other contact).

Said this, if you aim at true individuals, then there's no reason why one
individual owning more than one domain should weigh more than the others.
This also because in a number of ccTLDs individuals are limited to owning
one domain and no more (well, in many ccTLDs individuals can't even own a
domain).

About the relationship between ccTLD memberships and ICANN membership...
well, I guess that any organization wishing to represent individuals in
ICANN - domain name owners or simply users - should make deals with ccTLD
registries that already have individual memberships to exchange personal
data and offer free or almost-free registration to their members.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
--------> http://bertola.eu.org/ - Archivio FAQ e molto altro... <--------