Long term registrations - Was: RE: [ga] Fwd: LACTLD comments on ZoneTransfers

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Steven Heath wrote:

> How would you collect payments/renewals?

For some reason folks seem to presume that we need a system in which names
are periodically renewed.

Given that the cost of this entire DNS registry/registrar system is hugely
inflated by the cost of performing updates, it would not be inconceivable
for there to be a system in which registrations are sold for long periods,
say 100 years.  I figure that a one time payment of $25 would more than
cover the actual costs of putting such a registration into a zone file,
particularly if updates were paid for on a per-occurrance fee schedule.

Yes, I know that the ICANN contracts prohibit this, but why?  This has
never been a topic of public discussion; like much of what ICANN has done,
it was simply decreed from the Minaret of Truth in Marina del Rey.

There are easy techniques to garbage collect registrations that have been
abandoned - For example, for a fee one could issue a challange to the
purported holder.  If he/she responds within a reasonable, then he/she
gets most of the fee (it makes sense that one should be paid for the
inconvenience of defending one's registration.)  If not, then the name
would go into a holding pattern for a while and eventually become
available.

		--karl--