Re: Long term registrations - Was: RE: [ga] Fwd: LACTLD comments on Zone Transfers

Hello,

--- Karl Auerbach <karl@CaveBear.com> wrote:
> Given that the cost of this entire DNS registry/registrar system is
> hugely
> inflated by the cost of performing updates, it would not be
> inconceivable
> for there to be a system in which registrations are sold for long
> periods,
> say 100 years.  I figure that a one time payment of $25 would more
> than
> cover the actual costs of putting such a registration into a zone
> file,
> particularly if updates were paid for on a per-occurrance fee
> schedule.

I proposed a similar scheme during the WLS debate, namely that we be
able to acquire non-expiring .COM domain names, like .EDU names, and
pay fees for updates as they were made. I think it would be a quite
popular offering. Verisign calls WLS "innovation", mocking the English
language and common sense as they do so, when it hasn't a clue what
consumers really want.

By the way, Karl, any news on the the WLS appeal/reconsideration filed
by Dotster? Perhaps it's something you can find out about (being a
director), as you have access to ICANN documents as per your
lawsuit....

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/