Re: [ga] Domain names are highly irrelevant in the struggle against spam (Re: [ga] Vint why do none...)

At 4:49 PM -0400 9/18/02, L. Gallegos wrote:
>Like Kristy, I receive mail all the time with the "from" and "to" containing
>my own email address.  It comes from servers all over the world,
>although mostly Korea and  Romania.  The domain name whois is
>worthless for find spammers or stopping spam.  You need the contact
>for the relay mail servers.

No no no.

Pretty much all spam is selling something.

You need to locate the person who makes money from the sale (either the
seller, or quite frequently, the affiliate of the seller).

Many spammers have got it down to a fine art. They host on a free host, and
the website is used only to farm leads (without identifying the final
product for sale). That way they avoid having their affiliation terminated
for spamming.

You need the co-operation of the free site host (to ID the IP# used to
create and manage the site) and the co-operation of the ISP who owns that
IP#, to ID the actual person running the little spam operation.

Then you need that person to be in a location that allows you to prosecute
them for spamming.

Note: No domain names may have been involved in this spam (apart from the
ones used to try to divert complaints to someone else , so those poor
people can have THEIR business ruined/jeopardised by the likes of spamcop.

--
Andrew P. Gardner
barcelona.com stolen, stmoritz.com stays. What's uniform about the UDRP?