Re: [ga] Domain names are highly irrelevant in the struggle against spam (Re: [ga] Vint why do none...)

On Wednesday 18 September 2002 05:06 pm, Andy Gardner wrote:
> You need to locate the person who makes money from the sale (either the
> seller, or quite frequently, the affiliate of the seller).
>

> Many spammers have got it down to a fine art. They host on a free host, and
> the website is used only to farm leads (without identifying the final
> product for sale). That way they avoid having their affiliation terminated
> for spamming.
>

> You need the co-operation of the free site host (to ID the IP# used to
> create and manage the site) and the co-operation of the ISP who owns that
> IP#, to ID the actual person running the little spam operation.

That would be very nice, Any, except that getting that cooperation is not
happening.  What is easier is contacting the operator of the server and
letting them shut off the spammer.  If they don't notify them that the IP
will be blocked.  Literally every ISP I have contacted has shut off accounts
of spammers.  When the originating server is actually operated by the spammer
himself, I go upstream and shut it off that way.  I have had very little luck
with contacting free host sites that spew spam.  The really bad porn sites
use the huge spam services and most of that spam seems to come from Asia - at
least the ones I get.

I don't know about you, but I am not going to spend hours a day hunting down
the seller sites.  I am blocking IPs if they are not willing to stop the
spam.  There are also programs like spam assassin and I'm looking into that
for myself.  ISPs are beginning to offer it as well.

> Then you need that person to be in a location that allows you to prosecute
> them for spamming.

Again, that is a prohibitive method at best.

> Note: No domain names may have been involved in this spam (apart from the
> ones used to try to divert complaints to someone else , so those poor
> people can have THEIR business ruined/jeopardised by the likes of spamcop.

Yup, I've been threatened and have had to respond that people need to check
headers for IPs and not domains or email addresses.

Leah