[ga] on politics and trust

Jonathan,

In your letter to Peter Dengate Thrush (posted to the Council list) you make
the reasonable suggestion that <<maybe the "politics" could be ramped down by
all>>.

I draw your attention to the Bucharest ccTLD Response to the Committee on
Evolution and Reform's Blueprint for ICANN Reform in which the following
request was made:  "In the spirit of "bottom up" development, the ccTLDs
prefer to continue using the established name for this SO, ("ccSO") which is
used in all of our documentation, website domain name, committee names and
lists, and which reflects the cultural and historical language of the
internet."

In spite of this eminently reasonable request, the ERC continues to offer
barbs by pointlessly changing the name of the Supporting Organization for the
ccTLD community, the latest version being "ccNSO" referenced in the ERC's
Second Implementation Report.

Ramping down the politics is a two-way street.  Perhaps you could also pen a
similar letter to your fellow Board members who lately seem to be the ones
engendering this unfortunate climate.  You might also ask them to provide
some actual answers to Peter's questions.

You have asked Peter to work proactively to rebuild trust, yet by the day it
becomes harder and more foolish to trust the Board.  Frankly, I have to ask,
why should we?  We have had no indication that the Board is committed to
honoring the consensus view of the Community (as was demonstrated by the
Board decision on WLS).  If we can no longer count upon you to act in our
best interest (and this is not the first time that you have unilaterally
rejected DNSO recommendations), then please explain to us why you should
warrant our trust.

We too are listening.