Re: [ga] YesNIC hoarding joesworld.com - Specl attn Abraham

Thomas and all assembly members, stakeholders or other interested parties,

  This approach to solving a registrar or any sort of problem is commonly
called or referred to as a "Circle Jerk" in not so polite parlance's.  I can bet
that it will be months if ever this problem is resolved in a satisfactory
manner to the registrant/complaintant.

  ICANN is supposed to be a SERVANT to the internet community.  I
amongst a growing number of other stakeholders/users are well aware
that ICANN in this amongst a host of other areas at issue is failing
terribly in it's servant capacity.

  Abraham, I would strongly suggest that you seek the assistance of
a good internet Law atty.  If you need some help in finding one,
please contact me off list.

Thomas Roessler wrote:

> I've used this case to test-drive the newly introduced WHOIS problem
> reporting form at www.internic.net.  Let's see what happens.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Thomas Roessler                         <roessler@does-not-exist.org>
>
> On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 01:37:06PM -0700, Abraham Ingersoll wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 13:37:06 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: Abraham Ingersoll <abe@dajoba.com>
> > To: ga@dnso.org
> > Subject: [ga] YesNIC hoarding joesworld.com
> >

> > I don't know the proper venue for this issue. If someone knows of a better
> > venue, please privately reply with a pointer.
> >
> > In short, YesNIC is the registrar for 'joesworld.com' yet their whois
> > servers denies the existance for the registration, returning "No match"
> > to 'joesworld.com' searches.
> >
> > (background: I've been trying for some time now - maybe a year or more -
> > to snag joesworld.com for a friend who runs a nonprofit that currently
> > lives @ joesworld.org)
> >
> > When I recently asked YesNic about the whois discrepency, they threw me a
> > sales pitch!?! See email below.
> >
> > I've responded to YesNic with a pointer to ICANN's accreditation
> > agreement, however, the accreditation agreement isn't clear on one key
> > point. The agreement says a registrar must provide whois data for any
> > active domain, but nowhere in the agreement does it define "active."
> > joesworld.com doesn't exist in the root zone files, but it's registered.
> > Does this mean the domain is "inactive" and that valid whois responses
> > don't need to be returned?? I think not, but alas, IANAL nor a ICANN
> > insider.
> >
> > A helpful person has suggested I buy a 'SnapBack' on the domain from
> > snapdomains. Surely this can't be my best option? Is ICANN's domain-name
> > system so messed up that "accredited" registrars are simply hoarding good
> > names, hiding whois details and then offering to be a "broker" to
> > unsuspecting customers??
> >
> > Ug.
> >
> > Abe

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801