Re: [ga] Re: New TLD Evaluation Process : Specific Question tothe Board

Carl Malamud wrote:
> ok, I'm totally confused.  I went back and re-read all the reporting
> requirements in the tld agreements and still can't think of a single example
> of what such proprietary data might be in the various mandated technical
> reports (and I tried *really* hard.  :)

The new registries ranked each of the Appendix U reporting requirements into
various categories of confidentiality. I tried to shed a little light on
this practice when it was first disclosed by linking these color-coded
charts from my weblog:

http://www.lextext.com/bizconfidential.htm
(Neustar's confidential designations)

http://www.lextext.com/infoconfidential.htm
(Afilias' confidential designations)

At least in the first instance, the new registries designated over 50% of
their reporting data as having some degree of confidentiality. Silly.

Nevertheless, for most of the early data, the confidentiality period has
expired.

         -- Bret

--
Bret Fausett | fausett@lextext.com | http://www.lextext.com
Hancock Rothert & Bunshoft, LLP     Los Angeles, California