Re: [ga] WHOIS policy primer

On 28 Aug 2002, at 7:08, Sandy Harris wrote:

<snip>
.

> The contact might be an administrator at the ISP, not the domain
> owner, and the information might be made available through some
> mechanism other than whois. For example, we might add a DNS record
> type to hold this info, or just require that addresses like abuse@,
> webmaster@ and postmaster@ be valid. However, neither adding
> things to DNS protocols nor enforcing address validity is easy,
> so at least in the short term, I think we need it in whois.

A dig for an SOA will give you the postmaster address and nameserver
IPs.  A dig on those will give you contact information on the IPs.  It does
not need to be "published" in the whois.  I completely agree that correct
information for tech contact should be available to administrators.  If one
doesn't know how to do a dig, they shouldn't be administering, should
they?  But that has nothing to do with the domain name holder's
information either.

> One way or another, the technical contact info must be available.
>
> Whether the owners must be accessible -- e.g. for libel suits,
> copyright complaints, law enforcement, etc. -- is a completely
> separate question. My take on that is that getting such
> information should require a warrant or supoena.

That's where we also agree.  I feel no obligation to provide the persons
trying to sue me with the information to do so.  If that is to be the case,
then as Karl said, the WLS regsitrant information should also be made
public.  However, I don't think any of it should be made public, but do
think that the WLS information should be automatically provided to the
current domain name holder.

Leah