Re: [ga] WLS Suggestion

Hi Ray,

--- Ray Fassett <ray@fassett.org> wrote:
> George Kirikos writes:
>
> "It is Verisign that is asking to CHANGE the terms of the contract
> (via its
> change of the domain allocation method, and the increase in
> pricing)."
>
> George:
>
> Maybe I am mistaken, but I have been under the impression that
> Verisign is
> trying to force ICANN to abide by its contract i.e. state a position
> about
> a proposed "new registry service" and then seek remedy from there if
> necessary.  I take it you do not interpret things this way...looking
> for
> clarification.

See Chuck's email here:

http://www.icann.org/minutes/report-vgrs-wls-17apr02.htm

"I would like to request amendments to appendix G"

amendments = changes ;)

Any attempt by Verisign to make a change that alters the domain name
allocation method (there are other registry services which would not
affect domain name allocation methods), triggers the clauses that
affects registrars as I earlier pointed out at:

http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/nc-transfer/Arc00/msg00303.html

If Verisign had proposed offering high availability nameservers, or
high security domain locking, or identity verification services, or
giving out cookies with every domain, the clauses that affect
registrars in their own agreements with ICANN wouldn't have been
triggered. Thankfully, Louis Touton's own admission in his

http://www.icann.org/minutes/report-vgrs-wls-22aug02.htm

analysis that WLS "involves a change in the name-allocation algorithm"
will be used to enforce the registrar agreement, which mentions
"principles for allocation of Registered Names" in paragraph 4.2.4.
Section 4.3 specifies the manner in which those policies must be
established, and WLS would fail as it is not a "Consensus Policy", and
registrars can challenge it on that basis.

Registrars entered into a contract with ICANN, and that clause protects
the registrars from non-consensus based policies that would hurt their
business. Thus, opponents of WLS can use that to avoid the tyranny of
an oppressive dictatorship that has not met the "consensus" standard.
Not only has WLS failed to reach a consensus in favour of it -- it has
had a consensus vote against it.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/