Re: [ga] WLS Suggestion

Karl,

The WLS Task Force Report pretty much said this:

"We already know that the Board is going to reject the consensus view of the
community, again, so when that happens we would like you to at least consider
the following..."

Council members have come to the realization that the mentality of "What's
good for General Motors is good for America" has been adopted by the Board in
the form of "What's good for VeriSign is good for ICANN".  As such, they
cushion each recommendation with alternatives knowing that the Board will
overturn their recommendations anyway.

When the broader community concludes that it no longer matters what they
collectively think, because the Board will disregard such consensus anyway
and do whatever it damn well pleases, then there is no longer any incentive
to remain a participant.  Why bother?  No matter what we conclude, the Board
will override the recommendation without even the decency of remanding it for
further consideration.

It doesn't matter that the entire community endorsed a Supporting
Organization for the At-large... the Board doesn't want it, so community
consensus gets thrown out the window without even an explanation as to why
the concept is off the table.   It doesn't matter that everyone opposed the
VeriSign contract renegotiations, the Board "knows best".

This is what's wrong with the current Reform.  Too much power is being vested
in a Board that is no longer responsive to community consensus, and all
reasonable checks-and-balances on the authority of this Board-run-amok are
being eliminated.

You have a difficult decision ahead of you, but remember this... we respect
the fact that you took the time to raise your questions on the GA list.  Too
bad for us that your fellow Board members won't do the same.