RE: [ga] WLS Suggestion

Hi Karl,
	As the initiator of the anti-WLS petition, I thought I'd say thank
you for your change of heart!

With over 3000 signers from a variety of backgrounds it can be seen that
there are many with many different reasons to oppose WLS.  You have also
heard a few on the GA list :)

I just wanted to point out what made me oppose it as it might help you keep
on the right side of the fence ;)

WLS would effectively grant Verisign (or any other assigned operator of the
system) a monopoly over expiring domains.

Any granting of monopoly powers needs to be very carefully thought out as
monopolies so often lead to abuse.

Having seen complaints by verisign customers showing what amounts to
deceitful intent to refuse transfers and many complaints on timely action,
it became all to easy to see just what sort of abuses a WLS could lead to.

Perhaps in the future there could be an option better than freely competing
waiting lists, but there needs to be sound community support.

Not all damage can be routed around.  I hope that you will represent the
broad wishes of all those who have signed the petition or posted against WLS
on ICANN own forum on the matter.

You may hear some great reason for WLS just before you vote, if you do
remember that it is always easy to grant a monopoly, but very hard to revoke
one.

I hope that you can also extend these thoughts to the other board members.

	cya,	Andrew...

This e-mail and any attachment is for authorised use by the intended recipient(s) only.  It may contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be subject to legal privilege.  It should not be copied, disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party.  If you are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and any attachment and all copies and inform the sender.  Thank you.