Re: [ga] Where are all the reports?

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:44:11 -0500, you wrote:

>What is the difference between this At Large and the one where hundreds of
>thousands of people attempted to signed up to vote for Karl Auerbach?
>
>Will those of us who voted for representation be permitted in the new At
>Large?  I noticed no-one in our office or the offices we support have
>received any information about elections or progress within ICANN's At Large.
>
>Are these separate or the same thing with all the members removed?

In fact the Regional At Large Organizations, while allowing into themselves
all those organizations which want to participate in the process, should
allow individual registration. Of course, while in the original At Large
people would vote for nine Board seats, here each Regional membership elects
two seats in the ALAC, which in turn will elect only one (possibly non
voting) Board member: so the degree of power the At Large mechanism actually
handles is much, much lower. But still this scheme should allow the Regional
orgs, for example, to set up online elections if they desire to do so - and
I really think they should do it.

A point we wanted to make, however, is that neither we nor ICANN should
enter so deeply into the internal processes of such At Large Organizations.
ICANN should pose some requirements in terms of openness and sustainability,
for example; but how these Organizations work and choose their
representatives should be independently determined by themselves.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
--------> http://bertola.eu.org/ - Archivio FAQ e molto altro... <--------