Re: Thick vs.thin (was: [ga] Casting stones)

On 8 Aug 2002, at 10:11, Don Brown wrote:

> Competition, innovation, progress, no monopoly and lower registration
> costs for consumers, to name a few . . .

If there were thousands of TLDs, or even hundreds, the monopoly issue
would be put to rest.  The market would take care of pricing.  In the
case of VRSG, it is an issue simply because it was the only game in
town for so long that every commercial enterprise was forced to register
in that registry, providing a scenario where it was easy to gauge
consumers.  Adding "registrars" to the mix forced price reductions, yes.
 However, it is still a monopoly in the sense that VRSG still fixes the
registry fee.

Had there been a hundred gTLDs added early on, consumers would
have been registering in many regsitries and NSI would have had to
compete in a fair market.  Every registry is a monoply, but that is no
different from every insurance company being a monopoly.  If you don't
like the practices, terms and conditions or policies of one company,
choose another.

A great many of the issues driving people crazy today could go away
with hundreds of TLDs being made available in the USG root.  I doubt
we will see it because the IP interests will do all they can to prevent it.

There is nothing wrong with having a single registrar for a regsitry if there
are many registries - small, large and in-between.  As with the problems
surrounding ICANN's elimination of the at-large, the artificial scarcity of
TLDs prevents the public's having a choice in the most basic areas of
the internet - the DNS.

All the talk of confusion raised by having a multitude of TLDs is also
pure FUD.  People have become accustomed to changing area codes
constantly, as well as having to use more digits in phone numbers, dial
around codes, etc.  The public would become accustomed to a variety
of TLD extensions in the same manner and more companies would
spring up to index them.

Registries could succeed or fail.  People and companies would then
have to make changes just as they do when they move and change
phone numbers or an area code is changed forcing companies and
individuals to adjust.  It's a pain, but we all do it.  A worse scenario
would be to not allow new area codes and have an artificial scarcity of
phone numbers.  I see no difference with the lack of TLDs in the USG
root, especially when there are thousands of TLDs already in existence,
many of which actively accept registrations.  It's no longer an
experiment in the sense that it can be done.  It's been done.  So what is
ICANN's excuse?

Leah