Re: [ga] Casting stones

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 01:13:41AM +0200,
 Thomas Roessler <roessler@does-not-exist.org> wrote
 a message of 39 lines which said:

> And what's your perspective for the future?  Replacing ICANN?  By
> what?  Direct government oversight over Verisign?  How realistic is
> that?

I don't know if it is "realistic" (having a serious chance of being
implemented). But I agree with John Gilmore
<URL:http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/07/02/gilmore/print.html>.

> All this talk about a re-bid, or about working around ICANN,
> ultimately boils down to the suggestion to replace the lobbyist
> battleground called ICANN by the lobbyist battleground called
> Capitol Hill.  Same players, different coast.  How's that an
> improvement?

For the US citizen, it will allow him/her to invoke various rights
he/she is entitled to (such as the Freedom of Information act). For
the foreigner, it would change nothing (except that it would be
clearer who runs the root).