Re: [ga] Casting stones

On 2002-08-06 18:20:21 -0400, Michael Froomkin wrote:

>Just about very US-based NGO person I know thinks time spent
>inside ICANN's hall of mirrors is now wasted time.  I can't blame
>them.

And what's your perspective for the future?  Replacing ICANN?  By
what?  Direct government oversight over Verisign?  How realistic is
that?

All this talk about a re-bid, or about working around ICANN,
ultimately boils down to the suggestion to replace the lobbyist
battleground called ICANN by the lobbyist battleground called
Capitol Hill.  Same players, different coast.  How's that an
improvement?

Bad enough, you don't seem to have any plans for the event that the
battleground remains at the West Coast.  What's the NGO community
going to do when ICANN reform actually happens, and the DoC renews
the MoU?  Still continue to lobby for a "re-bid", focus on the meta
level, and let Intellectual Property interests dominate part of the
debate down on the detail levels where policy and architecture (*)
are made?  (Yes, I know that things are more complicated.)

As I wrote you earlier today: The argument that people don't listen
is a hell of a lot more credible when you have said something. Not
in year 1, but now.

(*) Used like Lessig does it. Think, for instance, about thick vs.
thin registry.  Thick registry does, in particular, mean that you
can do some jurisdiction shopping as far as privacy of registrants
is concerned.  That's much more difficult with a thin registry.
--
Thomas Roessler                          http://log.does-not-exist.org/