Re: [ga] Snapnames patent applications published

WXW and all assembly members,

  I agree that the USPTO and the patent process needs revamping.
However that said, you or any of your 10 others can always challenge
the patent filing of Snapnames in court or through the USPTO.  I am
sure such will get the attention such a filing deserves...
All the information you need to do so can be located
here: http://www.uspto.gov/main/contacts.htm

William X Walsh wrote:

> I have prior art.  Development of a system that does everything
> identified in the Patent dating back to early 1999.  As a matter of
> fact, the Userfriendly.com domain name (Which I sold earlier this
> year) was registered using that software.  This software was
> distributed to third parties, who in turn used and made enhancements
> of the software, which were then further distributed.
>
> If anyone becomes aware of any legal cases involving this Patent, I am
> sure that myself and the at least 10 others who used and developed
> this software would make ourselves available if needed.
>
> This is a clear example of how our Patent system needs to be
> completely revamped.  This is a patent that should never have been
> issued.
>
> Monday, August 05, 2002, 9:01:54 AM, John Berryhill Ph.D. J.D. wrote:
>
> > The long-touted Snapnames patent applications are now available online at
> > uspto.gov.
>
> > United States Patent Application 20020091827
> > Kind Code  A1
> > King, Raymond ;   et al.  July 11, 2002
>
> > Domain name acquisition and management system and method
>
> > Inventors: King, Raymond; (Portland, OR) ; Wiener, Ron; (Portland, OR) ;
> > Bayles, Len Albert; (Salt Lake City, UT)
>
> > Serial No.:  016497
> > Series Code:  10
> > Filed:  November 1, 2001
>
> > This application is a continuation of and claims priority from U.S.
> > Provisional Patent Application No. 60/245,102, filed Nov. 1, 2000, and U.S.
> > Provisional Patent Application No. 60/248,341, filed Nov. 13, 2000.
>
> > 1. A method for effectuating a succeeding registration of a domain name for
> > an interested entity following the expiration of a prior registration of the
> > domain name, the method comprising the steps of: receiving from an interested
> > entity a request identifying a domain name having a registered status; and
> > automatically: determining an expiration date for the status; defining a time
> > period for checking the status based on the expiration date; periodically
> > checking the status at a predefined frequency within the time period; and
> > when the status indicates that the domain name is registrable, requesting
> > registration of the domain name for the interested entity.
>
> > ---------------------
>
> > United States Patent Application 20020091703
> > Kind Code  A1
> > Bayles, Len Albert  July 11, 2002
>
> > Registry-integrated internet domain name acquisition system
>
> > Serial No.:  016498
> > Series Code:  10
> > Filed:  November 1, 2001
>
> > 1. A domain name registry system comprising: a registry database containing a
> > current registration record for a domain name, the current registration
> > record having an expiration date; a registry management system, having access
> > to the registry database, to delete the current registration record after the
> > expiration date, to issue a public delete notification, and to add a new
> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827